Thursday, January 18, 2007

Let the Earth Be Laughter

Inspired by the recent worship conference I had attended, I stopped at the church and picked up my guitar to take back to the house. Noah saw it, and said, "Oh, you brought your guitar home so you and me can play guitar together, Daddy?"

"Sure, bud," I said with a smile, "We can play guitar together." So, after a while, he and I played a few songs from church before moving on to a video game. Later, though, he brought his guitar into the kitchen where I was and said, "I wrote a song." He then proceeded to sing me a sweet song about sunshine and playing, while strumming his guitar.

I had heard it said that God perceives our songs in the same way. The best of our skills and abilities don't hold a candle to the choirs of angels ministering before His throne day and night, but it is not so much our skills and abilities He's moved by. It is our heart's song, expressed through a simple act of free will choosing to honor Him, that touches His heart.

Of course, I'd heard that before, and I believe I even referenced it once or twice when speaking about worship, but hearing the sweet voice of my son singing from his heart a song he made up gave me a much greater appreciation for the analogy.

I told Noah I'd like to record his song, and set up the digital voice recorder. Instead of singing his song he had sang for me a moment earlier, he decided to sing another song he wrote. The main part of the song consisted of "Let the earth be laughter" and "Let the earth be worthy and rejoice to the King". As he explained to me when we were done, he wants to write songs about God.

We listened to the recorded song together, as we began to sing along, I thought again about the precious gift that God gave to me in my son. At that moment, singing and making music together, we were continuing a father-son connection that had begun when I was a little boy listening with proud wonder as my dad poured himself into his music. I remember watching his fingers create such beautiful sounds, be it guitar, bass, or piano, and wishing I could do the same.

Now, I watch my (almost) 5-year-old son creating his own beautiful sounds, and find myself wishing I could see the world with the same purity and simplicity of heart that he does. Tonight, however, my world truly is laughter and rejoicing to the King.

No comments: